Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content



​Welcome Parents!
Does your child have problems reading textbooks at their grade level due to either their vision or physical condition or because they have a learning disability? If so, then there may be a way to make sure they can access their books independently. Continue reading to find out how you can help.

Reading Accommodations

As the parent of a child with a disability, you can be involved in the decision making process about reading accommodations.  

Reading Accommodations for Grade Level Text:

    • Read out-loud
    • Text-to-Speech (TTS) software
    • Audio
    • Large Print (font size of 16-18 compared to standard font size of 10-12)
    • Braille (words represented by patterns of raised dots) 

What are Reading Accommodations and Reading Modifications?
A reading accommodation is not the same as a reading modification. 
Accommodations are designed to level the playing field to allow students with disabilities the access to the same reading materials as their peers.​

Reading accommodations are alterations to reading materials that retain the exact content of the original text but the delivery method is different. An example of an accommodation would be a student reading the book A Red Badge of Courage in braille. 

Reading modifications are alterations to reading materials that change the original text.  An example of a modification would be a student reading a shortened or simplified version of A Red Badge of Courage.


To determine if your child is eligible to receive accessible educational materials due to a print impairment, you can complete the "Eligibility Quiz" for your child. The Eligibility Quiz can be found on the GIMC homepage. The information that you find by completing the quiz can be used in the decision making process.  

There are additional resources available to children who are blind. If your child is blind, click on "Parents of Blind Students" on the right side of this page.

Your local school district may register your child with the GIMC if your child needs accessible educational materials. If your child is registered with the GIMC and signed parental/guardian consent is on file, they will also be registered with the American Printing House, Bookshare, and/or existing and future organizations who acting in agreement with the GIMC provide accessible texts in accordance to copyright laws.